Sheila contacted me via the blog asking about Source Naturals GABA Calm ~ I am from Brussels/Belgium. I cannot find the Source Naturals GABA Calm sublingual anymore. The one you recommend. I’ve been recommending this for years to clients since I read your book “The Antianxiety Food Solution.” I already contacted Source Naturals a few times but no response. Do you know why they have stopped selling this in Europe?
After doing some checking around and contacting Source Naturals it seems there is a world-wide shortage of Source Naturals GABA Calm 125mg lozenges. When I reached out to them I was told it’s indefinite (with no reason why) and to check back at the end of January. Two other people were told it would be available mid-January and mid-February so the messages are mixed.
Today I’m sharing some other GABA product options until GABA Calm comes back or in case it doesn’t or if there is another shortage in the future. It’s such a pity since it is so effective for so many folks as you can see in these blogs:
- Source Naturals GABA Calm™: Why I recommend it for anxiety
- GABA Calm instead of Xanax for panic attacks, heightened stress and anxiety: questions and my feedback
- GABA for children: ADHD, focus issues, irritability, anxiety and tantrums
I also posted this message on Facebook to let my community there know and to find out what they were using instead.
This is some of the feedback I received:
- Mary ~ Oh my goodness! I just found it in my local Vitamin Shoppe tonight! There was one bottle left.
- Diana ~I noticed. My son uses this, I’m a little worried.
I shared that there are other products that will hopefully work as well and asked everyone who was using something else: Do you use it opened onto the tongue or swallowed? And if you’ve used Source Naturals GABA Calm in the past how does it compare for you?
A number of people said they like Thorne pharmaGABA capsules, someone said she like Now GABA Powder and a few people like Natural Factors pharmaGABA chewables:
- Tara ~ I’ve only used Thorne PharmaGABA because of how it’s derived [fermented]. I just swallow the capsule and I’m immediately calm within 5-15 mins. I was previously prescribed a benzo & this is much better. 100mg is all I take when I feel a panic attack coming on. I’ve been thru a few years of absolute hell of benzo withdrawal coming off of my klonopin prescription. The GABA feels almost the exact same as the benzo except the benzo would actually cause rebound panic attacks (I didn’t realize it at the time) & the GABA does not.
- Jane ~I use Now Foods GABA powder. A little under the tongue works well.I have found both effective. Powder good for rapid effect at home (1/4 teaspoon as needed). GABA Calm good to take out with you.
- Meesh ~ I use the Natural Factors pharmaGABA (100mg) and it works great. I use it in combo with L-theanine 250mg (which also contains 20mg of magnesium)… and the combination is magic
I’ve updated the supplements blog with the above products and a few additional similar products so you have many options to select from based on your unique needs and taste preferences, and what’s available at the time:
- Thorne PharmaGABA-100: the label says Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) 100 mg but it also states that the product uses Pharma Foods International’s Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (PharmaGABA®). This is also pleasant-tasting when opened on to the tongue and is most effective when used this way.
- Thorne PharmaGABA-250: as above but contains 250mg of PharmaGABA®. This is also pleasant-tasting when opened on to the tongue and is most effective when used this way.
- Designs for Health PharmaGABA Chewables: gamma-amino butyric acid (pharmaGABA) 200 mg in 2 chewable tablets. It’s quick-acting and convenient like GABA-Calm because it’s chewable. This does contain xylitol, natural flavors, stevia and some other ingredients so taste may be a factor and xylitol can cause gas, bloating and diarrhea when too much is consumed.
- Natural Factors PharmaGABA: gamma-amino butyric acid (pharmaGABA) 200 mg in 2 chewable tablets. It’s quick-acting and convenient like GABA-Calm because it’s chewable. However it also contains organic cane sugar and natural fruit flavors so it’s a little too candy-like for my preference, especially if you have low GABA-related sugar cravings. Also 2 chewable tablets – 4g of carbs which is almost 1 teaspoon of sugar!
[January 22, 2021: I’ve included this as a stand-by option for occasional use until Source Naturals GABA Calm is readily available again or if Designs for Health PharmaGABA Chewables are not available.]
- Now Foods GABA Powder: 1/4 Level Teaspoon (500mg). This is pleasant-tasting when opened on to the tongue and is most effective when used this way. The only challenge with powder like this is making sure you don’t use too much by mistake. And it’s especially challenging when you only need 100mg.
- Quicksilver Scientific Liposomal GABA with L-Theanine: 2ml (4 Pumps) provides (Gamma Amino Butyric Acid) 240mg, L-Theanine 100mg and Phosphatidylcholine 120mg (from purified sunflower seed lecithin). It does contain ethanol so would not be suitable for alcoholics or young children.
I do want to add that Nutritional Fundamentals for Health GABA-T SAP is still a firm favorite of mine: gamma-Aminobutyric acid (GABA) 300 mg, l-Theanine 150 mg. This is pleasant-tasting when opened on to the tongue and works very well when GABA Calm can’t be used (because of the tyrosine or taste or sugar alcohols). It is also often used with GABA Calm – like GABA Calm in the day and GABA-T SAP at night or some combination. I find best results when it is used opened on to the tongue and it offers a feeling of calm focus. It could easily be used as a substitute for GABA Calm in the short-term.
In case you’re new to GABA you can read more about it here: GABA for the physical-tension and stiff-and-tense-muscles type of anxiety.
Is Source Naturals GABA Calm a favorite of yours? And how has it helped you? What have you found works as well – for physical anxiety, tension, insomnia, pain, sugar cravings, muscle spasms – when it’s not available?
If you’ve used a GABA product in capsules, do you use it opened onto the tongue or swallowed? And if you’ve used Source Naturals GABA Calm in the past how does it compare for you?
If you’re a practitioner do you use GABA Calm and/or other GABA products?
Please do share in the comments below and let me know if you found this helpful or if you have questions. And thanks for the questions and contributions so far!