Get into fly-healthy mode before you leave on a trip and be prepared so you can stay healthy while you’re actually flying – and have a fun and happy trip. Part 2 will cover what to pack and take with you to stay healthy while you’re away and how best to eat while you’re there.
What to do before you leave –
- Don’t leave things to the last minute – famous last words I know! – but it’s important to be well-rested and not all stressed out
- Eat plenty of immune boosting foods like onions and garlic
- Include a few servings of miso, a fermented soy paste that is very protective against radiation (flying exposes us to a fair amount of radiation). You don’t want to boil miso, so add a tablespoon to a cooked stew or soup, or home-made salad dressing
What to do on the trip –
- Keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water – skip the coffee as it’s dehydrating
- Take “padkos” (South African slang for “food for the road”) – some fruit, nuts and seeds, a boiled egg, grass-fed beef jerky and even a packed lunch
- For mild motion-sickness ginger tea or crystallized ginger works
- For bad motion-sickness acupressure wrist bands will do the trick (they’re great for the car and boat trips too)
- Nasal spay with xylitol will keep those recirculating airborne germs at bay
- Wash your hands
Have a safe trip!