What do I take when I travel? How difficult is it to eat on the road and still be healthy and still avoid getting zapped?
I’m heading to Palm Springs, CA for a 3 day biz/nutrition event with a nice twist! JJ Virgin, nutrition and fitness expert extraordinaire and author of the New York Times # 1 best-selling book The Virgin Diet is hosting a 2 day mastermind with integrative doctors and nutritionists.
Even if I am going to an event run by an expert in food sensitivities – and JJ certainly fits that bill (her book discusses 7 common food sensitivities that are holding us hostage) – I’m still wary of hotel kitchens.
Why? Well, when I get zapped it’s bad! I got zapped last Sunday with organic spices from the health store. I should have known better and not purchased spices that didn’t say gluten-free on the label. Anyway, I used rosemary and garlic on some roast chicken. And boy, did it do a number on me! It affected my sleep, I had stomach cramps, I was drained on Monday, and Tuesday was brain-fog day. On Wednesday I had a really bad headache. I had to really dig deep to do all the prep-work for JJ’s event.
So I’m not taking any chances these 3 days. Here is the healthy food that I have with me:
- A few packets of bison grass fed jerky. I bought these packets from US Wellness Meats
- Four pemmican bars/sticks. These are THE energy bars of the 21st century and have a divine melt-in-the-mouth-like-chocolate texture. The ingredients…wait for it… beef fat, grass-fed jerky, sea salt and a hint of cranberry. They were used by Native Americans, the early traders in the USA and even the Boers in South Africa. They are also from US Wellness Meats
- I need something green, so I have kale chips. I would have made my own but ran out of time so bought some gluten-free bags.
- More green and some minerals, so I have a few bags of roasted seaweed snacks
- Apples. I always have apples with me!
- A bag of prunes for the fiber. Flying dries me and blocks me up!
- I’m also drinking extra water today. I found a nice Brita water bottle that is BPA-free and has a built in filter. Very cool!
- I have enough boiled eggs for 2 a day – a good protein for the start of each day! To keep me focused and clear.
- I need something red. I have home-made sun dried tomatoes. I got SO many tomatoes in my CSA box this week and my friend Donna came around with even more, so I had to do something with them and drying them was perfect. I did them in the oven and will share the recipe and pictures later.
- A few cans of sardines. I love my sardines and always travel with them
- Soaked roasted pumpkin seeds. I also always travel with something like this.
- And finally a bag of Go Raw Ginger Snaps – not too sweet and with a nice hint of ginger
What do you think? Crazy or well-prepared? I’d love to hear if you have food sensitivities and what you take when you travel.