Did you know eating sardines and pumpkin seeds can make you happier and calm you down? There are many foods that will help improve your mood. I was recently interviewed onFox40 Live| KTXL – Sacramento www.fox40.com by Annalee Penny. We chatted about some unique and delicious foods that can improve your mood…like help reduce anxiety, depression, irritability and anger!
Foods to Improve Your Mood
Wednesday, September 7 at 7:40am PST
You can watch the segment here
Just like my Good Day Sacramento interview, there is a really funny comment by the anchor at the end – about my “lovely” accent! Too funny!
And here is what we discussed – watch the video and read all about it!
[youtube width=425 height=349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBG7dgP0U_M[/youtube]
Can foods really affect our moods and help reduce a anxiety, depression, irritability and anger?
- We often don’t think that foods can affect us mentally but there is much recent research about real quality food and improved mental health
- And it’s the synergistic effects of all the nutrients in real food that is so great!
- So we want to eat real whole foods instead of processed foods, junk foods and sugary foods – and eat how our grandparents ate!
Can eating sardines really help with depression?
- They are affordable and are a clean fish (ie less toxins because of their small size) and they are a great source of omega 3s, vitamin D and protein – all of which help with depression
- In fact, there is less depression is countries that consume more seafood!
- They are super right out of the can or with a salad. I like to take cans with me when I travel – great emergency food. Check out more on my travel tips article
- And yes, salmon is a good option too, as is grass-fed red meat
How do pumpkin seeds help with anxiety?
- They contain both zinc & tryptophan, both of which help with anxiety
- In a recent study, a functional food made primarily of pumpkin seeds helped with social anxiety
- They are one of my favorite healthy snacks – lightly roasted with olive oil, sea salt, pepper, ginger and turmeric
Can coconut milk help with irritability and anger?
- Coconut milk and oil are good fats and helps keep your blood sugar stable preventing blood sugar swings and the resulting irritability and anger
- They are yummy in a smoothie or stir-fry or just eaten as is
What about sauerkraut for anxiety and depression?
- Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage and like yogurt it contains probiotics or beneficial bacteria which are great for our digestion and both anxiety and depression
- Make sure to buy raw sauerkraut or make it yourself!
Eat like this and you’ll feel on top of the world! And who doesn’t want this!
You can learn more and hear me present on this and much more in Scottsdale/Phoenix, AZ next week on Tuesday Sept 20 at 6pm – here are the details.
If you can’t make it you can learn more about my book here and by searching for “anxiety” on my blog.