How do you trouble-shoot when you score high on the Pyroluria Questionnaire from The Antianxiety Food Solution or even have a positive pyroluria urine test but you don’t seem to be getting the results you expect?
You still have social anxiety, that inner tension that you push through and deal with, and likely still feel uncomfortable when in large groups. You force yourself to put on the confident brave face. You may wish you could be more like your extrovert friends and actual enjoy socializing and speaking in public/on stage – without the fear and anxiety. You may still not be a big breakfast eater and have morning nausea. You may not yet be having pleasant dreams that you always remember.
(If pyroluria is new to you here is the Pyroluria Questionnaire from The Antianxiety Food Solution and here is a nice summary – Pyroluria, social anxiety, introversion: a summary )
This checklist is a starting point to try and figure out what may be the issue. These are the questions I’d work through with someone who is working with me one-on-one.
I discussed 21 of these in my interview on season 3 of the Anxiety Summit: Pyroluria, Amino Acids and Anxiety: Troubleshooting when you are not getting results
As you heard during the interview, I added MTHFR and I’ve even added a few more since then. I expect this list to grow.
- What form of zinc are you taking and is it free from copper? My favorite is Optizinc (zinc monomethionine)
- Have you made sure that there is no copper in your multivitamin or other supplements?
- Have you been taking evening primrose oil and if yes, how much?
- Did you test your fatty acid levels? What are the results? Did it show a need for GLA (I like evening primrose oil rather than borage oil)
- What is your alkaline phosphatase (blood test) – less than 70 may indicate a need for zinc
- Have you done the zinc tally/challenge with zinc sulfate and does it taste like water or does it taste really bad? If you zinc levels are good it should taste really bad
- Did you test copper and ceruloplasmin, and if yes, what were the results?
- Did you do the pyroluria urine test? What are the results?
- What’s your score on the pyroluria questionnaire ? And which symptoms do you have?
- What is your score on the introversion questionnaire?
- What were your dreams like before starting the protocol and now? How high did you go on the vitamin B6?
- On a scale of 1-10, what was your social anxiety before and now (10 is worst)
- What is your stomach acid like? And have you trialed Hcl supplements? Tested total protein (in blood)
- Do you eat grass-fed red meat (a good source of zinc, iron and omega-3s?
- Do you eat sugar? Refined sugar and processed foods? Or even “healthy” sweeteners such as honey in large quantities? (sugar depletes zinc)
- Do you eat large quantities of nuts or bake with nut flours? (the copper in the nuts may be affecting your zinc)
- Do you have a copper IUD, copper pipes, copper pots?
- Have you done a hair analysis and found high copper or high hidden copper?
- How much and how often do you exercise? What about bikram/hot yoga? Sweating depletes us of zinc
- Have you used any of the amino acids? And seen good results?
- Do you eat gluten and have a gluten sensitivity? If yes, have you healed your gut? If not, you may have malabsorption
- Are you completely grain-free? This may be impacting your vitamin B6 levels)
- Do you have amalgams/silver fillings? Did you have them removed and did a mercury detox? Were you tested for heavy metals? Zinc absorption can be blocked by heavy metals (we talked about this in season 2)
- Do you have the MTHFR polymorphism? It’s common with pyroluria and this may mean you need higher amounts of the supplements
- Do you have high histamine/hisadelia or low histamine/histapenia? Pyrolurics often have one or the other
- Are you taking benzodiazapines or have recently quit benzodiazapines? Your unresolved anxiety may be due to this fact (we talked about this in season 1)
- Do you have parasites, candida, dysbiosis, SIBO or other digestive issues? These can be considered stresses and pyroluria symptoms are worse under stress
- Do you have Lyme disease or another infection? These can be considered stresses and pyroluria symptoms are worse under stress
- Do you have food sensitivities? This may contribute to malabsorption. This can also be considered a stress and pyroluria symptoms are worse under stress
- Do you have problems with histamine-containing foods? This can be considered a stress and pyroluria symptoms are worse under stress. Also, vitamin B6 is a co-factor needed for the DAO enzyme, which is responsible for the degradation of histamine.
- Do you have issues with oxalates? This can be considered a stress and pyroluria symptoms are worse under stress. Oxalates can also bind to minerals and lower the levels
- Have you been/are you exposed to mold and other toxins? These can be considered stresses and pyroluria symptoms are worse under stress
- Do you have low oxytocin levels? Do you have a genetic variation in the oxytocin receptor gene (OXTR). Oxytocin has been implicated in anxiety, depression and related stress phenotypes
- Is your life super-stressful? Stress makes pyroluria worse
- Do you have adrenal issues? We need good adrenal function for optimal digestion, being able to handle stress and being able to fight off infections/avoid getting parasites and dysbiosis
- Do you have hormonal issues – PMS, perimenopausal or menopausal symptoms? The pyroluria protocol helps and this could be a clue that something is off
This list is NOT in my book The Antianxiety Food Solution but the pyroluria questionnaire, protocol and testing information is (my book has a whole chapter on pyroluria).
If you are not already registered for the Anxiety Summit you can get live access to the speakers of the day here: www.theAnxietySummit.com
Missed this interview or can’t listen live? Or want this and the other great interviews for your learning library? Purchase the MP3s or MP3s + transcripts and listen when it suits you.
Please share your results and ask questions in the comments.