Magdalena Wszelaki, founder of Hormones Balance, was interviewed on the Anxiety Summit by host of the Anxiety Summit, Trudy Scott, Food Mood Expert and Nutritionist, author of The Antianxiety Food Solution.
Is Coffee Your Hidden Anxiety Trigger and How to Substitute It with Delicious and Healing Drinks
- Caffeine, anxiety and panic attacks and our genetics
- How coffee impacts blood sugar and increases sugar cravings
- Coffee: the gut, adrenals, sex hormones and the thyroid
- Is decaf ok?
- How to use chicory, dandelion, carob and reishi as great alternatives
- Rooibos and tulsi/holy basil as anti-stress herbal teas
Here are some gems from our interview:
If you’re having type 2 adrenal fatigue so that means sometimes it’s s super high. Your adrenals are pumping out too much cortisol. Sometimes it’s too low, sometimes it’s just okay. You can get that done through testing – hormone testing, saliva testing with cortisol. The issue is that in times of low cortisol release you’re going to be pretty brain dead and this is when we want to bring the cortisol level up with coffee.
The problem is the adrenals are already exhausted and that’s the reason why they are firing off with the wrong timing. Sometimes it’s too high, sometimes it’s too low. Women who have this “I’m tired and wired” thing going on late at night where they’re just lying in bed exhausted, can’t fall asleep. That’s very often adrenal fatigue stage 2 with higher cortisol levels at night. And so this is where coffee just exhausts your adrenals even further. So you might get that instant release as in like you’re getting this clarity in your head. You’re getting that energy to get through the day. But in the long term coffee is really going to just exhaust the adrenals to the maximum.
Here are some of the studies on anxiety and coffee discussed in the interview:
Caffeine can cause anxiety and panic attacks. This study showed that people with panic disorder and social anxiety may be more sensitive to the anxiety-causing effects of caffeine.
In this paper, Caffeine abstention in the management of anxiety disorders, the participants had generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. They had been on medication and they’d been on therapy and they drank one-and-a-half to three-and-a-half cups of coffee a day. None of them had benefitted from either the therapy or the medication. When they stopped the coffee within a week the anxiety disappeared.
Here are additional studies we discussed:
- Coffee and gastrointestinal function: facts and fiction. A review.
- Caffeine as an intensifier of stress-induced hormonal and pathophysiologic changes in mice
- Maternal caffeine consumption during pregnancy and the risk of miscarriage: a prospective cohort study
- Caffeine and caffeinated beverage consumption and fecundability in a preconception cohort
- Caffeine effects on sleep taken 0, 3, or 6 hours before going to bed.
Here is Magdalena’s recipe for ROASTED CHICORY ROOT LATTE
Time to prepare: 15 minutes; Time to steep: 10minutes; Serves: 1; Equipment: blender
1 tbsp roasted chicory root
2 cups water
1 tbsp ghee, coconut butter or butter (if tolerated)
1 pitted date
fresh nutmeg (nut or powder)
How to make:
- Bring water to a boil, add chicory root and steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and transfer to a blender.
- Add the ghee (or any fat you decide to use) and the date. Blend for 1 minute at high speed.
- Top with freshly grated nutmeg and enjoy.
I shared my carob recipe: Carob Cinnamon Delight instead of coffee – a calming hot beverage and mentioned rooibos tea how it’s A Functional Food in the Management of Stress (an interview from a prior anxiety summit)
Here is Magdalena’s gift: Finding Hormonal Balance Through Food and Essential Oils
And here is Magdalena’s wonderful no-cost introductory Hormone Balancing Workshop/webinar (many of my clients have attended and love learning about eating for hormone balance from Magdalena)
If you are not already registered for the Anxiety Summit you can get live access to the speakers of the day here: www.theAnxietySummit.com
Missed this interview or can’t listen live? Or want this and the other great interviews for your learning library? Purchase the MP3s or MP3s + transcripts and listen when it suits you.