I’m thrilled to be presenting on this very important topic on Saturday March 6, at the 80th State Conference of CAHPERD (California Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance). The conference runs from March 4-7, 2010 in Ontario, CA.
It’s quite incredible how you can eliminate anxiety, depression, mood swings, irritability, low self-esteem and so many more mood issues – with a combination of exercise, eating real (nutrient-dense) foods and targeted individualized supplementation with the amazing amino acids and other vital nutrients.
Here’s a sampling of some of the information I’ll be sharing:
- Adult rates of depression & anxiety have tripled since 1990
- Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S
- In the U.S. one in ten children and adolescents suffer from mental illness
- Exercise has a significant therapeutic benefit as it raises endorphins and serotonin
- Aerobic and non-aerobic exercise helps, so walking, yoga and swimming are all great
- Eating a good wholesome diet is imperative. See my posting on the benefits of a Mediterranean Diet on depression
- Refined sugar strips us of crucial nutrients like B vitamins and zinc, all of which are so important for mental health
- Gluten intolerance can cause anxiety, depression and schizophrenia, and not only digestive problems
- Supplementing with the amino acid tryptophan can help with depression, anxiety, PMS, low self-esteem, afternoon cravings and sleep problems
- Extreme shyness and social phobia can often be corrected with therapeutic levels of zinc and vitamin B6
For more details on this conference and information on CAHPERD here is their site http://www.cahperd.org/conference/index.html