Dr. David Perlmutter, MD, is author of the cutting-edge new book Brain Maker and one of the many excellent speakers on the upcoming Mental Wellness Summit
Here are some snippets from Dr. John Dempster’s excellent interview with Dr. David Perlmutter, MD – Microbiome: A New Frontier in Mental Health
- with respect to brain health there’s not a heck of a lot that mainstream medicine can offer you once you’ve been given one of these diagnoses, whether it’s Alzheimer’s or even a child with autism [my addition: or anxiety or depression]. There’s no treatment. And I think we’re just beginning to gain some real understanding that the answers to these questions may not be in the brain. It may very well be in the gut.
- this is very exciting and very cutting edge information that this microbiome, this collection of living organisms, bacteria, viruses, fungi, that live on us and within us are playing such a huge role in terms of our day-today health, our long-term risk for disease, and even functionality moment to moment, and especially incredibly as it deals with the brain
- 99% of the DNA in your body is bacteria. We have to pay attention to that big time because …we also fully understand now that the bacteria living within this are also changing the expression of our DNA of the DNA that we inherit from our mom and dad
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, which is the generic name for many of the products on the market, also found in many cold preparations, for example, are specifically quite toxic to the microbiome and set the stage for troubles in the body with things like inflammation
Dr. Perlmutter also shares fascinating information about C-sections, leaky gut and LPS/lipopolysaccharides, autism and fecal microbial transplants (and a heart-warming success story!), autoimmunity, clostridium difficile/ C-diff and diarrhea, fermented foods and prebiotic foods, and much more
And he has great advice for classically trained doctor/practitioners:
- Don’t be down on what you’re not up on. And what I mean by that is these concepts that we’re talking about today are very, very new. And we didn’t learn about this stuff in medical school. We were taught to fear bacteria
Join The Mental Wellness Summit, online, August 10-17, 2015, to hear the full interview and other functional and integrative approaches to root cause resolution of anxiety and depression.
This online event is educational and empowering, covering today’s powerful treatment options, including: specialized diet and improved nutrition, targeted supplementation, integrative medicine, naturopathy and functional medicine, somatic therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture, yoga and meditation, to name a few, are available but rarely considered for treating mental health.
Let’s go beyond just psychiatry and drugs, and explore the best options for wellness in this evolving and very exciting field.
Here are a few of the many other interesting topics that will be covered at The Mental Wellness Summit:
- Kelly Brogan, MD: Holistic Medicine and Root-Cause Resolution
- Robert Whitaker, PhD: The Perils of Big Pharma
- Chris Kresser, MS, LAC: About the Brain-Gut Connection
- Ross McKenzie Co-founder of Mental Wellness Summit, Filmmaker of Bipolarized : Journey Beyond Meds
- John Dempster, ND, Co-founder of Mental Wellness Summit: Heavy Metal Detoxification and Functional Medicine
- Trudy Scott, CN: Anxiety, Pyroluria and Amino Acid Therapy (my interview airs on August 15th if you haven’t yet heard me speak on this topic)
- Mansoor Mohammed, MD: Methylation, Genomics and Mood Disorders (you can read snippets from his interview here)
Register for FREE now at the following link: https://vt239.isrefer.com/go/summitreg/trudyscottcn/