It’s the first sign of Fall and we’ve actually had our first chill in the air in Sacramento, CA. I really love this time of the year – beautiful sunny days that aren’t too hot, lovely crisp mornings and evenings and the leaves are starting to turn golden. So it’s time for a yummy fall soup recipe. Enjoy!
Here’s the recipe and soup ingredients (use organic preferably):
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks (you could also use butternut squash or pumpkin)
1 cup dry red lentils, well rinsed
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
chopped fresh ginger (about 2 inches) or 1T dry ginger powder
sea salt and pepper to taste
4 cups filtered water or homemade chicken broth (enough to cover the vegetables)
Ingredients for flavor and garnishing:
1T miso paste per person
1T organic plain yogurt or organic cream per person
Add all the soup ingredients to a large soup pot, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Blend and serve in soup bowls.
Now use the flavor and garnishing ingredients. Add IT miso to each bowl and mix it in before serving. Serve each bowl with a decorative twirl of organic plain yogurt or organic cream (about 1T per bowl). Enjoy!
And here are some of the reasons to inspire you to make this nourishing soup (other than the delicious taste):
- Sweet potatoes, butternut squash and pumpkins are loaded with beta-carotenes and are a good source of vitamin C, both of which are good for boosting immunity.
- Lentils are great source of vegetable protein and fiber.
- Onion and garlic are both great for the immune system and digestive system.
- Yellow and green peppers contain lycopene for eye health and cancer-protection – and they add a naturally sweet flavor.
- Homemade chicken broth is also great for immunity and is rich in minerals.
- Ginger is great for digestion and adds a warming zest.
- Miso is a fermented soy bean paste that has anti-cancer properties
- Yogurt (or cream) provides some fat which enhances the absorption of the all the antioxidants and beta-carotenes.